5 Strange But True Random Facts!
Over the years, sharks have gotten a bad reputation as ruthless man-eaters, probably not helped by the ‘Jaws’ movies….But did you know that you are more likely to get killed by a vending machine than a shark!
According to statistics vending, machines kill between two and four people each year in the United States alone, compared to just one person killed by a shark. And that’s not all….vending machines are responsible for over 1,700 injuries a year compared to just 25 due to sharks. However don’t get too complacent as you are ten times more likely to die if you are attacked by a shark than if you are attacked by a vending machine!
Here are a few other little-known facts about sharks…
- Some species of Shark will die if they stop moving.
- Sharks that live in cold water have the ability to heat up their eyes.
- Sharks can smell one spot of blood in an olympic sized swimming pool.
- A great white shark eats 1,500 pounds of food a year.
- Some sharks will eat and eat until they are sick….and then start all over again!
4Strange But True Stories Of Sleepwalking
Sleepwalking is a behaviour disorder that begins during deep sleep and results in walking or performing other strange behaviours while asleep. It is thought one in thirty people sleepwalk and it is more common in children than adults is much more common in children than adults and is most likely to occur in a person who is sleep deprived.
Here we look at some of the most bizarre things that have happened during episodes of sleepwalking.
- A 19 year old girl, once walked 9 miles in her sleep!
- Robert Wood is a chef who gets up in the night and makes omelettes whilst fast asleep.
- Lee Hadwin is a nurse by day and an artists by night, he regularly creates strange drawings whilst he is asleep.
- The singer, Robbie Williams, recently revealed that he is suffering from Nocturnal Sleep-related Eating Disorder – a condition which means he gets out of bed and eats in the middle of the night, unaware he is doing so.
Space the extraordinary mystery that fascinates us all. Here are just a few random facts about space and those who have been lucky enough to travel through it…
- Space is completely silent
- Two pieces of the same type of metal will fuse together if they touch in space.
- Halley’s comet passed by the year mark twain was born, and again the year he died.
- Astronauts in space can’t tell if the need to wee, so they are trained to relieve themselves every few hours to avoid accidents
- There is a patch of velcro inside an astronauts helmet so they can scratch their noses.
- There is no such thing as the dark side of the moon, both sides get sunlight, but you can only see one side of the earth.
Coffee is everybody’s favourite energy boost and has been around since the middle of the 15th century in some form or other. Nowadays coffee comes in all different guises but did you know…
- Teddy Roosevelt was rumoured to drink one gallon of coffee a day.
- Dunkin Donuts once used a fake coffee scent on buses to lure commuters in south Korea
- Legend has it that Coffee was discovered after Ethiopian shepherds saw the effect it had on goats after they had eaten coffee berries
- The most expensive coffee in the world is Kopi-Luwak and it is made from coffee beans that have been eaten and and passed through an Indonesian cat-like animal called the palm civet, so basically it is poo!
The human body is incredible and we tend to take it for granted and sometimes abuse it. But if you stopped and thought about everything your body does for you, it might make you take better care of it! Here are just a few interesting facts about our bodies that you may not be aware of…..
- Humans produce enough saliva in their lifetime to fill a swimming pool…Yuk!
- The acid in your stomach can dissolve razor blades.
- When you are afraid your ears secrete more earwax.
- The funny bone is actually a nerve.
- There are ten human body parts with only three letters….have a thnk!!
- If you rub your feet with raw garlic, you will be able to taste it.
- Human urine was once used to whiten teeth…
For all these and many more Fascinating Random Facts check out https://www.amazon.co.uk/Random-Illustrated-Facts-Mike-Lowery/dp/0761189955/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514148113&sr=1-1&keywords=random+illustrated+facts